Sunday, June 26, 2011

Choosing Your Foundation

How many of you have pointedly been aware of your foundation in life? Or even cared to think on it for that matter?
I can't tell you exactly when I became aware of the importance of having a firm foundation in life but I can tell you it is a subject that has been on my heart since I was young. Young enough that I didn't even know what foundation meant at the time. That alone speaks volumes to me on that it had to be God himself pressing the importance of it on my heart because I can tell you for a fact that it was not a lesson taught to me at home growing up.
Jesus said, “He is like a man which built a house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock. But he that heareth, and doeth not, is like a man that without a foundation built an house upon the earth; against which the stream did beat vehemently, and immediately it fell; and the ruin of that house was great.” (Luke 6:48-49) What have you built your house upon?

"Two words, differentiated by two letters, have two contrasting meanings. “Obvious” means clear, understandable, palpable, noticeable, apparent, evident, and observable. “Oblivious” means unaware, unconscious, unmindful, ignorant, and insensible.
Two groups of people are walking this earth, those who are wise and those who are fools." The Bible says, “A wise person thinks much about death, while the fool thinks only about having a good time now.” (Ecclesiastes 7:4 NLT) It also states, “The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, But a wise man is he who listens to counsel.” (Proverbs 12:15 NASB)
It is obvious to the wise that Jesus could return at any moment. They know that our time could run out at any given moment. Tomorrow is never promised to us, However, the fool is totally oblivious and live as if they know they have plenty of time.
Greed, morality and violence are off the charts, but fools continue to rush head-long into the mouth of judgment without a care in the world, without pause of what tomorrow may bring. This truly baffles me that people can be so reckless with their souls let alone their time on this earth!

This is why every Sunday while many pews are filled with people who would rather be somewhere else, and jump at the chance to sneak out of the service 10 mins early to beat the traffic....I myself look forward to the last 10 minutes because it is when in our church, we witness those who have been without foundation come finally to Jesus and say "I need you Lord!" To see others eyes Finally opened and arms suddenly outstretched ready to receive God's promise and ask for His foundation....it fills me and rejuvinates me! I am shown that all hope is not lost and there are still plenty willing to change their ways and build anew for themselves. It also reminds me that while I know I have my firm rock solid foundation in the Lord, it is continually my responsibility to build my home, and to fill it with meaningful lessons (spiritual furniture) and to leave out the junk!
I have much in life to learn but yet I am SO blessed to be sure of the fact that I know NOTHING in this life can shake me of my foundation!

In Christ Alone!

Dee

For Lord's Day Evening
by Isaac Watts

Lord, how delightful `tis to see
A whole assembly worship thee!
At once they sing, at once they pray;
They hear of heaven, and learn the way.

I have been there, and still would go
'Tis like a little heaven below!
Not all my pleasure and my play
Should tempt me to forget this day.

O write upon my memory, Lord,
The text and doctrines of thy Word,
That I may break thy laws no more,
But love thee better than before!

With thoughts of Christ and things divine
Fill up this foolish heart of mine:
That, hoping pardon through his blood,
I may lie down, and wake with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment